Friends of the Brecon Beacons
Cyfeillion Bannau Brycheiniog
What do we do?
- We keep a watching brief on all planning applications in the Park and comment on those of significance.
- We receive information about the state of the footpaths and other rights of way in the Park and bring footpath problems to the attention of the Park Authority
- We support the aims of the Forest Fawr Geopark, are represented on its Management Group and work in partnership on suitable projects.
- We supported the creation and help maintain the Beacons Way – a 100 mile linear walk across the Park
- We provide Guided Walks every weekend throughout the whole year in different areas of the Park a well as walks on some weekdays as well. Free to Members.
- We run a series of lively and informative Talks and Events throughout the year. Free to Members.
- We led the work with the Park Authority to obtain International Dark Skies Reserve status for the National Park and we work on other major projects within the National Park.
- We work with the Brecon Beacons Park Authority on issues of importance within the National Park. We are members of the BBNPA’s Advisory Committees.
- We work with the Alliance for Welsh Designated Landscapes, Friends of Pembroke National Park and the Snowdonia Society on the Welsh and UK Governments' legislative programmes that directly affect the operation or, indeed, continued existence of national parks and respond to consultations.
- We also work closely with other organisations interested in protecting and promoting our National Parks, such as Natural Resources Wales (NRW) and the Brecon & Radnor branch of CPRW.
- We publish a twice-yearly magazine The Beacon, distributed free to Members.
Brecon Beacons Walks
The Brecon Beacons National Park offers a great range of walks ranging from the high peak wilderness of Mynydd Ddu in the west, through the high peaks of the central Beacons to the slightly more gentle Black Mountains in the east. In between, there are beautiful valleys, lakes, waterfalls and the canal.
A Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number 1180841